Windows 10: Share your OpenVPN connection
Last updated by Mike A on June 15, 2018 09:13
Sharing your VPNSecure connection over Wi-Fi protects your internet privacy and security instantly on all your household devices.
In order to share your VPNSecure connection over Wi-Fi using your Windows 10, please follow the instructions below:
Create a Wireless Hosted Network on Windows 10
- Type 'cmd' on the search bar and right-click.
- Select “Run as administrator”.
- The command prompt window will open. Type "NETSH WLAN SHOW DRIVERS" and hit the Enter key.
- If the generated output shows Hosted network supported: Yes, then you can continue to follow the instructions. If your wireless adapter isn't supported, you could try using a USB wireless adapter that supports this feature.
- Close the command prompt and re-open it as mentioned in step 1.
- In the cmd, enter "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Your_SSID key=Your_Passphrase".
SSID - Name you want to identify your wireless network when trying to connect a new device.
Passphrase - The network security key you want users to use to connect to your network (Remember that the passphrase has to be at least 8 characters in length.)
- Once you have created the host network, enter the following command to activate it “netsh wlan start hostednetwork”.
Share Your Internet Connection with a Hosted Network on Windows 10
To make the hosted network accessible to other devices, you need to share the internet connection using the “Internet Connection Sharing” feature from a physical network adapter.
- Use the shortcut (Windows key+X) to open the power user menu and select Network Connections.
- Right click on the Network Adapter with an internet connection (this could be Ethernet or wireless network) and select Properties.
Note: In network connections you will now be able to see a new Microsoft Hosted Virtual Adapter which is labeled as Local Area Connection* X, and with the SSID name we created in the step 6.
- Click on the Sharing tab and check Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection option.
- From the Home networking connection drop-down menu select the Microsoft Hosted Virtual Adapter and click OK button to finish.
Note: Once you have the VPN running on your laptop and your laptop converted into a Wi-Fi hotspot, you can start adding the Wi-Fi devices to the hosted network in order to have VPN connection on them.
VPNSecure Provides Secure VPN servers in over 45+ Countries
If you are a looking for a versatile easy to use VPN service, checkout Today